La Gardo Tackett for Architectural Pottery cone planter in bisque. Includes an original vintage walnut stand. 1950s.
Excellent condition with spots of discoloration.
11″ x 11″ x 20″ H
La Gardo Tackett (1911-1984) was born in Henderson, Kentucky. After World War II, La Gardo and his wife Virginia set up a pottery studio in Topanga Canyon where he produced artistic and functional work. He was teaching two days a week at the California School of Art and exhibiting at venues such as the Scripps College Gallery. His work, along with students John Follis and Rex Goode, was discovered by Max and Rita Lawrence at an exhibition held at the Evans and Reeves Nursery in Los Angeles. Shortly after, the Lawrences started their company Architectural Pottery, which featured designs by Tackett, Follis, Goode, along with others such as Malcolm Leland.
After moving to Japan for two years, Tackett became focused on designing dinnerware and accessories for companies like Schmid and Freeman Lederman. In the early 1960s La Gardo worked as the manager of the Objects Division at Herman Miller. The corporate world did not agree with him and he moved back to Japan. La Gardo and Virginia moved back to the United States and settled in Connecticut, where they would spend the rest of their lives.